Printed by G. Paramore, 1791
The full title of the publication reads: "A Discourse Delivered at the New Chapel in the City Road on the ninth of March 1791. At the Funeral of the late Rev. Mr. John Wesley."
John Wesley died in his City Road house next to his 'New' Chapel on March 2nd, 1791. He was buried a week later on March 9th at 5a.m in the burial ground behind Wesley's Chapel – one of 5452 people buried there between 1779 and 1854 when the burial ground was closed for interments.
Dr John Whitehead (1740-1804), Methodist lay preacher, physician to the Bethlehem Hospital and also to John Wesley in his final illness, delivered Wesley's funeral sermon at the Chapel. This was published and went through four editions in 1791. It realised £200, which Whitehead handed over to the Society.