This armchair, probably a desk or study chair, belonged to Charles Wesley (1707-1788). The chair is made from mahogany with an elaborately carved back splat in a style popularised by Thomas Chippendale (1718-1779). The seat is upholstered in finely woven horsehair. Horsehair was very popular as a durable upholstery material in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
A small silver plaque dated 1862 on the crest (top) rail records that the chair was given by Charles Wesley's eldest son, Charles Wesley junior, to Thomas Jackson. Jackson was President of Conference in 1838 and a distinguished scholar. His writings included a number of books on Charles Wesley.