A photograph of the 'blue' plaque fixed to John Wesley's House. The plaque was made by Royal Doulton and installed by the London County Council ('LCC') in the interwar years (1919-1939).
Blue plaques are permanent markers installed on a public building or in a public place in Britain, and specifically in London. They commemorate links between historic places or buildings, and the people who lived or worked in them. The London scheme was launched in 1866 and has since been administered by the Society of Arts (1866-1901), the London County Council (1901-1965), the Greater London Council (1965-1985) and English Heritage (1986 to date).