This Leys School booklet or brochure commemorates the first fifty years of the school. The school was founded in Cambridge in 1875 as a Methodist School for the sons of lay Methodists. The Reverend Dr W.F. Moulton (1835-98) became its first headmaster and the school grew rapidly. 'The Leys', as it is often referred to, is still a very successful school today, but its students are no longer specifically Methodist.
Wesley's Chapel and The Museum of Methodism have a close connection with the Leys School through the Methodist 'Leysian Mission'. The Mission was founded in East London in the late 1800s by former members of the school, to combat hardship and poverty. The Mission and Wesley's Chapel united as 'Wesley's Chapel and Leysian Mission' in 1989. The Leys School, Chapel and the Museum regularly work together on partnership projects.