Photograph of the memorial tablet to James Hamilton, M.D. (1740-1827) at Wesley's Chapel, City Road.
Hamilton spent his early years as a surgeon's mate in the Navy. He joined the Methodists in the 1760s and became a local preacher. Hamilton lived in Dunbar and opened his home to other itinerant Methodist preachers, assisting John Wesley to organise Methodism in Scotland. In 1771 he received an MD from Aberdeen University and in 1780 was elected a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh.
Later, Hamilton moved to London and became a member of Wesley's Chapel, City Road. Hamilton was against Methodism's split from the Anglican Church and he worked, unsuccessfully, to prevent it.
See also Joseph Kay's painting 'John Wesley walking between two of his preachers, Dr James Hamilton and Joseph Cole, in Edinburgh' (1997/6735) in the Online Collection.