Black and white photograph of the Chapel font. The font's stone bowl is medieval and was originally installed in the parish church in Madeley, where John Fletcher (1729-85) was curate. The top and bottom part, made from alabaster, date to the late 1800s.
Inside the font is a hollowed-out, square piece of sandstone, which has an incised pattern. The stone has links with Nathaniel Gilbert of Antigua, an early Methodist who converted and preached to his slaves. The stone's incised patterns are deeply meaningful, symbolising the breaking of the fetters of slavery.