Photograph of the monument to Theophilus Lessey (1787-1841) at Wesley's Chapel, City Road.
The Revd. Theophilus Lessey was the son of a Wesleyan minister. He was baptized by John Wesley and educated at Kingswood School. Lessey became a powerful preacher and often preached at significant Wesleyan Methodist events, for example at Chapel openings, such as Brunswick Chapel (1825) or Oxford Place Chapel, Leeds (1835). He was elected President of the Conference in the Methodist Centenary year 1839.