probably early/mid 1800s
According to its handwritten label, this small piece of stone was taken from the tomb of John Wesley's father, Samuel. Samuel Wesley (1662-1735) was buried in the grounds of St Andrew's Church at Epworth, where he had been rector since 1695 and until his death.
In the 1800s, Methodist mementoes were greatly desirable, and a huge range of objects was produced to satisfy demand. Anything with a remote connection to Wesley or his family became valuable, and, sadly, this resulted in some collectors cannibalising buildings, monuments and trees.