This black and white photograph shows Leysian Mission School teachers in 1915.
The Methodist men and women in the picture were teachers in the Leysian Mission School. The mission and school were located at the Old Street roundabout close to City Road and the City of London. The mission's purpose was to look after the physical, spiritual and social welfare of the poorer families living in the Old Street area in the days when state welfare didn't exist.
The Leysian Mission joined Wesley's Chapel in 1989 and the Chapel still employs a Leysian Missioner. For further information on the Mission, see the various photographs and objects in connection with the Mission and the Leys School, Cambridge in the Online Collection. See also 2011/13208.