Small illustration of the 'Foundery', Moorfields, London.
The ‘Foundery’, originally a government cannon foundry, was Wesley’s first Chapel in London and in use between 1739 and 1778. It was a multi-purpose building which housed a Chapel, living quarters, a band-room, a school and a book room (where Methodist publications were stored and sold). There were also stables for the preachers’ horses.
One of a set of three framed small prints in the Collection illustrating buildings with a close connection to Methodism's founder, John Wesley (1703-1791). See also 1992/137/8 and 1992/137/7.