This certificate was issued to contributors to the Wesleyan Methodist Twentieth Century Fund.
In 1898, the Wesleyan Methodist Twentieth Century Fund or 'One million Guinea Fund' was launched at Wesley's Chapel in City Road, London. The fund was to finance the building of a centre for world Methodism and help Methodism expand further in Britain and overseas. No-one was allowed to donate more than one guinea, but a donation could also be made in the name of a loved one who had passed away or who had emigrated. The Fund was active for 10 years, until 1908, by which time over 1,025,000 donors had contributed £ 1,073, 682.
Some of the money was used to construct the Westminster Central Hall, and about £700,000 was left and was used to help build or enlarge Wesleyan chapels and Sunday Schools in Britain. The remainder was used to finance more missionaries overseas.
See also the medal issued to commemorate the Fund in the Online Collection.