This postcard of the exterior of Wesley's Chapel and John Wesley's House is unusual. It was issued as a Christmas card sometime around 1900, with the note from the post office (on the back) that, for inland mail, it was now permissible for inland postcards to write messages on the address (or back) side. For international mail, all personal messages still had to be confined to the front (picture side) of the postcard.
Note the curious metal apparatus on the pavement in front of the railings, next to the gas street lamp. Was this connected to the gas supply and the lamp, or was it possibly a small water pump?